Since March 17, new limitations apply to mobility and the development of economic activities.
I. Measures enforced throughout the country
The President of Ecuador, through Executive Decree 1017, declared a state of emergency throughout Ecuador, further declaring the Covid-19 (coronavirus) as a pandemic and issued additional control measures.
- Freedom of movement and mobility of people in the country have been limited and in-person work activities on public and private sector were suspended from March 17 to 24.
- Exceptionally, the mobility of people will be allowed in the following cases:
- Workers and employees of entities that provide basic services relating to health, security, fire, airports, terminals (maritime, river), banking, food supply; the export sector and its logistics chain, strategic sector, those related to animal care and breeding, consular services accredited in the country.
- Members of the National Police and Armed Forces.
- Medical, health or relief personnel
- Public and private transportation of entities authorized to operate.
- People who must commute for emergency reasons.
- People who need to stock up on food, medicine or fuel.
- Curfew has been established prohibiting any circulation of vehicles and people from 9:00p.m. to 5:00 a.m. each day, except for the cases listed in a. to f. of Paragraph 2.
- From midnight on Tuesday 17 to April 5, domestic air operations are suspended. Exclusive air cargo operations, domestic and international, are permitted and operational.
- Since Wednesday, March 18 vehicle circulation is restricted for people who commute to stock up on food, medicine or fuel. Circulation is limited to:
License plate ending on:
|Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday||1 – 3 – 5 – 7 – 9|
|Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday||0 – 2 – 4 – 6 – 8|
II. Measures enforced in the Metropolitan District of Quito
The Mayor of M.D. of Quito announced additional control measures applicable exclusively in M.D. of Quito from 5:00 am of March 17 until March 31:
- Suspension of the use of public spaces including sidewalks, streets, parks, pedestrian bridges, passages, among others. Only the mobility of the persons listed in Section I.2 above is allowed with certain additions.
- Suspension of business activity licenses. Licenses for food and medicine sales activities are exempted.
- Full restriction for private vehicles´ circulation and buses (motorcycles, bicycles, trolleybus, Ecovía, Metrovía systems). Motorcycles that transport food and medicines with a maximum of one passenger are allowed to circulate.
- Taxis can circulate to transport authorized persons, with limitation established by the Mayor.
- Closure of land terminals and airports, except for cargo operations.
- Circulation of children, senior citizens or people with disabilities is not allowed.
III. Public sector operation and the judicial function
- The suspension of in-person work activities includes the public sector, which will limit its activity to what can be carried out by teleworking. This means that the majority of processes are suspended.
- Several public entities such as the Internal Revenue Service, the National Customs Service of Ecuador, the Superintendence of Companies, the Superintendence of Control of Market Power, Ministry of Labor have expressly suspended the terms within pending administrative proceedings.
- The Judicial Branch suspended activities while the state of emergency established by the President of the Republic lasts. Likewise, judicial processes dates and terms are suspended.
Do you want to receive our newsletters with information like the one you just read?
Click here and subscribe.