On August 23, 2023, President Guillermo Lasso issued Executive Decree No. 850, which contains the General Regulations of the Organic Law on Communication. In the main, the new Regulation:
- Incorporates the rules for the self-regulation of the media.
- Determines the rules for the operation of the Information and Communication Development and Promotion Council.
- Creates the Mechanism for the prevention and protection of journalistic work, as a state technical instance in charge of adopting measures for this purpose. The mechanism is made up of the Ministries of Defense, the Interior, Foreign Affairs and Human Mobility, Women and Human Rights, the Risk Management Secretariat, the State Attorney General’s Office, a representative of the media workers private, public and community communication and a representative of civil society.
- Modulates the prohibition of dissemination of imported advertising established in article 98 of the Organic Law of Communication, by determining that advertising produced in member countries of the integration treaties and agreements to which Ecuador is a party, will have the quality of national. This implies that the dissemination of advertising produced in the member countries of the Andean Community of Nations, CAN, (Colombia, Peru and Bolivia) is allowed; and MERCOSUR (Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, Guyana, Peru and Suriname) is allowed.
- Prohibits the dissemination of advertising of any type of betting or sports prediction systems.
The General Regulations to the Organic Law of Communication will enter into force from its publication in the Official Gazette, which has not happened until the moment of publication of this bulletin.
Would you like to receive our newsletters with information like the one you have just read?
Click here and subscribe.