By Executive Decree 1137 issued on September 2, 2020, the President ordered the advance payment of income tax for the year 2020, to finance the expenses associated with the health emergency.
The previous Executive Decree 1109 issued on July 27, 2020 that established the same tax was not applied since it was declared unconstitutional by the Court.
The individuals, companies, and permanent establishments that comply with the following conditions are required to pay the advance income tax:
- Generate taxable income, except income derived from a labor relationship.
- In the year 2019 received gross income equal to or greater than US$5,000,000.00; and,
- During the period from January to July 2020, generated profits, with the exceptions of income and expenses derived from a labor relationship.
Taxpayers who are not included in the assumptions previously described are able to pay the advance income tax voluntarily.
The following taxpayers are not required to pay the advance income tax:
- Micro, small, or medium size companies.
- Taxpayers that are exempt from paying income tax on the fiscal year 2020.
- Taxpayers that have registered the province of Galapagos as their tax address.
- Taxpayers that are regular exporters of goods, or that 50% of their income derives from the export of goods; or,
- Taxpayers with one of the following economic activities:
- The operation of airlines.
- The provision of accommodation and/or food services.
- Activities of the agricultural and aquaculture sector.
In order to calculate the advance payment, the following formula must be applied:
IR = (85% of UC * 25%) – RFIR20
Where:IR = Advance income tax.
UC = The profit derived from the result of operations carried out from January 1 to July 31, 2020, in accordance with the financial statements and accounting and financial regulations.
RFIR20 = Income tax withholdings made to the taxpayer from January 1st to July 31, 2020, that the taxpayer is able to use as tax credit.
Taxpayers are able to pay the full amount of the advance income tax until September 11, 2020 and will not be able to request payment facilities. The late payment will generate interest and penalties.
The advance income tax will be regarded as tax credit for the payment of 2020 income tax.
Do you want to receive our newsletters with information like the one you just read?
Click here and subscribe.